Venture Capitalists Liked These 10 S.D. Companies BestOriginally published January 11, 2017 at 3:10 p.m., updated January 12, 2017 at 10:06 a.m.
During 2016, San Diego saw 103 venture capital investments for a total of about $1.28 billion, according to a MoneyTree report released this week by PwC and CB Insights.
Of the top 10 local deals in the fourth quarter, most were with health care and biotech companies, though firms from the semiconductor and the internet software and services sectors also made the list. Here’s who got the money and who gave it to them:
- Astute Medical Inc.: $43 million (BioTechne)
- Genalyte Inc.: $36 million (Khosla Ventures; Redmile Group)
- Classy: $30 million (Bullpen Capital; Galileo Partners; JMI Equity; Mithril Capital Management; Salesforce Ventures)
- Allele Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals Inc.: $11 million (undisclosed investors)
- MD Revolution: $9.74 million (Jump Capital)
- Patara Pharma Inc.: $6 million (undisclosed investors)
- IQ-Analog Corp.: $5.57 million (Lockheed Martin Ventures)
- eSUB Construction Software: $5 million (Revolution Ventures)
- AnaBios: $4.18 million (Principia SGR)
- Trefoil Therapeutics Inc.: $4.16 million (Hatteras Venture Partners)