The National Football League has extended by two days the San Diego Chargers’ deadline to decide whether the team will relocate to the Los Angeles market, switching it to Jan. 17.
A posting on the NFL website said league owners decided to extend the original Jan. 15 deadline issued last year, for the Chargers to decide whether to exercise an option to relocate to an upcoming new stadium being built in Inglewood by Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke.
A league spokesman said the Jan. 15 deadline falls on a Sunday of a divisional playoff weekend, and Monday is a federal holiday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
The Chargers recently made arrangements to lease training facilities in Costa Mesa, but team officials said that lease would be voided if Chargers Chairman Dean Spanos decides to keep the team in San Diego.
Those involved have not discussed the content of recent talks involving Spanos, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, county and San Diego State University officials.
If the Chargers decide not to exercise the Inglewood option, it is slated to transfer to the Oakland Raiders. However, NFL owners are currently considering a proposal by the Raiders to move to Las Vegas.